Our Heritage & History
OUR HERITAGE & HISTORY
Cincinnati Christian University began nearly a century ago. On September 23, 1924, two institutions—McGarvey Bible College in Louisville, Kentucky, and Cincinnati Bible Institute in Cincinnati, Ohio—merged to form the Cincinnati Bible Seminary (or CBS).
According to our founding charter, the purpose of CBS was “to prepare men and women for Christian service.” At that time, the university’s founders wanted to meet the pressing leadership needs of independent local churches that were associated with the Restoration Movement fellowship and they wanted to provide students with an education that was well-grounded in the Word of God.
During the first sixteen years of the university’s existence, the campus consisted of two large residences and a rented church building that served as a chapel and public meeting place. These buildings were located in the Price Hill area on Cincinnati’s west side, not far from the present campus.
In 1939, twenty-seven acres with five buildings were purchased, and the campus moved to its present hilltop location at 2700 Glenway Avenue. In 1941, the university purchased a Presbyterian church building and used it for chapel services until 1983. Eventually, new construction on the Glenway campus provided housing for men and women, a cafeteria, and additional space for classrooms and offices. By 1953, all functions except chapel services were consolidated on the Glenway campus. In 1968, the Edwin G. Crouch Memorial Building was erected to house the library and the graduate school. Some adjoining properties were added to the campus, and the multi-purpose building, Presidents Hall, was dedicated in 1983. In September 2004 the Worship and Ministry Center was dedicated, housing classrooms, offices, a commuter study area, a student recreational area, a coffee shop, and a worship center. In 2007, a new entry pavilion and outdoor plaza were added to President’s Hall, and extensive renovations were done to our dining facilities and Counseling Center. The Price Hill campus now includes fifty-four acres, and CCU has established extension sites in Springdale, Ohio, and Indianapolis, Indiana.
In 1987, the corporate name of the institution was changed to Cincinnati Bible College & Seminary, and in 2004, with the addition of the College of Adult Learning, the corporate name became Cincinnati Christian University.
Throughout its generations of service, Cincinnati Christian University has sought to provide “scholarship in an atmosphere of faith”—educating men and women to understand the Scriptures and minister in the name of Jesus in the church and in the world. With nearly ten thousand graduates and approximately twenty thousand who have attended, CCU has trained a high percentage of the ministers, missionaries and para-church leaders among the Restoration Movement churches and organizations, thousands of other church leaders, as well as individuals who serve the Lord faithfully in the public marketplace—in business, education, and other careers—and as volunteers in the church. The scope of CCU’s influence is genuinely worldwide: CCU alumni have served in all fifty states and in at least seventy-one countries around the globe.
Since 1924, Cincinnati Christian University has been committed to: