Story #2

Our latest story comes from current CCU student Dain Smith.

“When I first came to CCU, I had no idea what I was getting myself into. Eventually I discovered that it was exactly where I needed to be.

I wasn’t raised in a Christian home and came to faith late in high school. This made me passionate to understand the Bible but left me with a lot of questions.

There’s one moment that changed everything. It’s a moment I will never forget.

At the beginning of every Old Testament History class, Professor Dyke would start with a profound Christian thought and then pray. One day, however, he opened with a challenging discussion of a difficult psalm. He slowly guided us through the text, revealing fascinating nuances within it. Then he read a part of the psalm that described the human response to pain and hardship. He illustrated this by offering multiple examples of contemporary pain similar to those addressed in the psalm. By the end of his discussion, there were quite a few students in tears.

But then he took a dramatic shift and started discussing how God overcomes all of those pains, ending with words from the psalm affirming this. And with that, he bowed his head and began to pray.

As he prayed, I realized that class hadn’t even really started yet.

We had been there for 45 minutes.

And it was then that I started to fully appreciate the education I was receiving at CCU.”

Share your CCU story and we might tell it. Click here to share.